Give Piece a Chance Skirt & Top



One Thimble issue 17 is out today! I can't say enough good things about this digital sewing magazine... So many articles, tips and patterns!

I had the chance to sew one of the patterns (actually is a 2-in-1) before its release. It's the Give Peace a Chance Skirt & Crop Top, although, as you may have noticed already, I hacked the top to make it not cropped since fall has already arrived here in the upper hemisphere. (You can read all about how to make this modification below.)





Pattern:
Give Piece a Chance Tiered Skirt & Crop Top, pattern by Duchess & Hare. You can buy it separately on One Thimble shop, but I strongly advice to get the whole magazine for just a little more money. :) 

Here's a photo of the original pattern. Perfect for summer, right?



Fabric:
Skirt: baby cord, blue navy,
Top: lurex striped 2x1 rib knit (from my local fabric shop) and quilting cotton (Les Fleurs collection by Rifle Paper Co. for Cotton + Steel). I feel like I'm the last kid to join the Les Fleurs party. I guess I'm joining the after party, ha!

Pattern recommendations for fabric are: Light Weight Linen, Voile, Quilting Cotton, Viscose/Rayon, Double Gauze, Lawn. I was opted for different fabrics, to make the outfit a bit warmer for fall days, and I can say it worked.


Details: 

This pattern is available in size range 2-12y.

It features:

  • A pieced crop top perfect for showcasing different prints, embroidery and trims. 
  • Choose a ruffled flounce, trim or nothing for the pieced bodice. 
  • Bodice hits above the navel and is fully lined. 
  • The skirt has an elastic waistband and two pieces. 
  • The top is a semicircle and the bottom is a rectangle perfect for using border prints. 
  • Skirt hits mid calf.
I have opted to make the top in knit so I had to change a few things in the construction:
1) I haven't made it lined since there was no need to when using knits.
2) Since I didn't make it lined I had to finish the neckline and armholes differently, so I used knit bands.
3) Because I didn't need the back button closure, I have cut the back piece on fold after I took off the width needed for the button placket. 
4) As I said above, I decided to add length to the top. Since it has the flounce pieces I couldn't just add length to the bodice pieces, so I have opted to add a band (with just a bit less width than the crop top, to make it snug to the body). 
It's such a simple modification! And I love how it turned out.



As for the skirt, I can't say I loved the fact that all the bigger sizes use 3 pieces for the bottom part of the skirt... It makes it impossible to match the seams with the top skirt part. If you look closer on some photos you can see seams on the bottom part that are not placed at the sides... Sadly I haven't thought about that before I cut the fabric, because the width of the fabric I used would have allowed to cut two bigger pieces. It would have been a simple math calculation and my advice is: do it. It will give you a better result than having seams misplaced all over the bottom skirt piece. Either than that, I love the skirt style, love it in baby cord, and she loved it too! (And that is all that matters!)


On a side note. I totally want her boots! <3  

Here is a sneak peek of all the patterns included in this issue of One Thimble: 


You can get issue 17 of One Thimble here. You can also get all the patterns as stand alones, but I totally recommend getting the whole magazine. It's packed full of patterns and great sewing articles. 

Want to see other versions of the patterns? Check these blogs!






11/14/2017  | Inspinration | Rebel & Malice | Curtiepie




Happy sewing! 


4 comments

  1. This is a really beautiful outfit Sara :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adoro a tua versão do top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I love it with that bottom band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've given this such a different look with your fabric choices and tweaks! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!