The Picnic Dress




I have always loved red gingham. Maybe because of my sweet childhood memories or children's books illustrations of fun picnics with a red gingham towel laying in the green grass...

Oh, and I love picnics! I have sweet memories of day-long picnics and barbecues with all my extended familiy - this was an yearly event that we loved dearly. You all grew up, some people passed away, and we ended up not doing it anymore...
Recently me and my DH decided to start our own picnic tradition with our kids (and our parents). Now my kids love (love!) picnics! They just spent all winter asking when we could have a picnic in the woods or at the beach... Well, it was a long winter (it is still raining a lot around here...) and we are longing for sunny Spring days and Spring break (starting this weekend) to go on a road trip and enjoy a couple of picnics on the way!

So, March's pattern for the Flip This Pattern series at Frances Suzanne is the Beachy Boatneck top by Blank Slate Patterns. The concept behind this series is that you have to change the original pattern the way you want. I always try to keep the main design lines so the original pattern can still be recognized once it's flipped (see November's flip and February's flip). So I knew I had to keep the boat neck design.

By the time I started to make drawings (I will spare you from seeing them...) and planning this FTP I saw that PR&P season 9 w1 theme was "Spring break" and I found a few sewing series based on the Mad Men TV series wardrobe designs (one for women dresses and the other is the Take One Dress series at As It Seams). I got so excited (I do love a character themed sewing series!) that I searched for images of Mad Men's women wardrobe and I found a couple of dresses and tops with a boat neck design! 

These were the ones were I got my inspiration from:


So this post is about how I flipped the Beachy Boatneck inspired by Mad Men's women wardrobe! And turned it into a picnic dress! (Yay for Spring and picnics!)

I made a sleeveless top (the original pattern has short or medium sleeves) and have joined it to a gingham gathered skirt to make a Beachy Boatneck dress! Or - as I named it - the Picnic dress!

I hemmed the armscyes with a striped bias tape and used the same bias tape to embelish the front top piece with a straight line and a bow. I added vintage red buttons from the 1950s - the Mad Men era! The idea was to make it look a bit like Miss Holloway's dress!

I just couldn't do a pencil skirt piece for my Princess - she loves to dance and twirl! So I had to do a gathered skirt piece for this dress...


The skirt piece was made from a changed version of the lovely Betty Skirt pattern from the Shaffer Sisters. I got this pattern as soon as it was released (on late February) and have been planning to sew it right then but things got busy with a few deadlines of patterns testing and so I haven't yet had the chance to make a Betty skirt... 
I removed the yoke piece, raised the length of the skirt and have add a big sash to the waistband (sewn on both sides)!
I have been keeping this red gingham fabric for a special project, but as soon as I started to work on this one I immediately knew it had to be it.

PR&P season 9 W1 challenge is "Spring Break" - and as I said before, Spring break means road trips and picnics!

BTW, next month's Flip This Pattern is the modern looking Colorblock dress from Heidi & Finn, which is a slim "A" line dress. Will you join the fun? I already have some ideas on how to flip it!

And, keep following PR&P season 9! I love to see all the beautiful creations that are being made! There so many talented people around there... Amazing!
Project linked to:






15 comments

  1. Great job, Sara!! And, yes...the twirl in the skirt looks very child-friendly :). I can completely see your inspirational starting point spilled over into your work. Now, you've got me curious about next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love gingham, too, in any color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used the Beachy Boatneck and the Betty Skirt in our flip too! You need to sew along with Challenge Create: Adult Edition (come over to our blog and check it out!) because you are awesome at this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!! I love vintage style! And I went a little gingham crazy last summer - still have some left over! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet flip! The gingham and lace is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so cute. I am a big fan of this outfit. When you do get a chance to sew up the Betty Skirt, we would love to see it!
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute outfit, Sara! I love the bow detail. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a sweet dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful and fun outfit - I really like the way you've done the bodice, and the gingham and striped bias tape are lovely. Plus your daughter is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the trim running up the shirt with a sassy bow. Great job
    Deborah@sew much to give

    ReplyDelete
  11. Achava que já tinha comentado este post, vê lá! Adoro o xadrés... e o vermelho... gosto tanto de vermelho... ela faz-me lembrar a capuchinho vermelho... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is lovely! You make the gingham look so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sweet! I'd love to see you join us this week at the Inspire Us Thursdays! link party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just adore this! The skirt portion is just perfect and I love the small touches you added!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!