A Free Japanese Smock Pattern





Hi! How are things in your neck of the woods? Around here it is still a bit cold and we just came back from a snow trip to the mountains for mid-term break. The kids had so much fun with the sledge. And (a-hem...) so did I. :) 

Today I am part of the Flip This Pattern series, hosted by the lovely sisters over FrancesSuzanne blog. This month the theme is Free For All and it is all about FREE PATTERNS galore

Dozens of sewing bloggers have been sharing their makings out of free sewing patterns. There are hundreds out there! I have a Pinterest board with nothing but free patterns for kids clothes and it is already counting 350+! (And I am sure there are a ton more yet to be found!) You can find it here.








The first thing that came to my mind when I was invited for this series was sewing either a French pattern or a Japanese pattern. I love both! French patterns are classy and beautiful. But I couldn't resist the chance of sewing up a Japanese pattern. I have been in love with Japanese patterns, crafts, design, styling, aesthetic for many years now. 

When I was looking for Japanese patterns I went to nani IRO's website (nani IRO is a Japanese textile company with the most gorgeous and high-quality fabrics) to look through their free patterns. Just in case you didn't know they offer several free patterns every year since 2002! You can find baby patterns, child patterns, women patterns, bags and pouches, and even men patterns! The only thing is... you need to draft the pattern yourself. They offer a graphic of the pattern pieces with all the measurements so it's not that hard. Every pattern has a PDF file with the sewing instructions (in Japanese :) ).

It was hard to choose from so many great patterns... but I ended up choosing the Rainbow SmockIt is a simple traditional Japanese smock pattern. I did flipped it a bit. After all this is the Flip This Pattern series, right? :)

I was lucky that this pattern is available for girls with a height of 100cm (39.5' inches)  because this little girl is almost there. 
The skirt portion was made out of patchwork stripes sewn together (for the rainbow effect) with a contrasting hem band, but I have opted to make a single pattern piece for the skirt and to sew a ruffled band to the hem (I have used 1.5x the width of the skirt).
The chest band was sewn with elastic (in a case) but I opted for a button closure at the back. 



I let her pick the fabric and buttons (something I barely ever let my kids do and when I do they have to choose from a given fabric pile that I set for them to choose from... bad mom, I know. :) ). She chose this dotted chambray and then I paired it with an embroidery anglaise for the ruffled hem band. 

I can't say I am 100% happy with the result... I mean, she looks super cute and girly, and she loved it! But I am not sure I do to. Maybe it's the ruffles... or the pairing with that blouse (from Lanidor, a Portuguese high-end kids clothes brand) that also has ruffles... or those dark tights... I think I will love it more when Spring comes and she will use it with a simple tee underneath. That will make it look better, don't you think?





She is the best kid!

Oh, and just in case you're wondering what's with her hair... Her hair is impossible to comb... She has two major hair swirls on the top of her head (most people usually have just one) that make her hair go up and twist. Everyday is a bad hair day for this girl. I don't know how she is going to do it when she grows up... :) If you have any suggestions, please help!

Well, back to the tour! I am touring today along with two good blogging friends - Jennifer from A Jennuine Life and Ana Sofia from S is for Sewing. I love what they both made for this series!

Make sure to also check ALL these amazing blogs to find loads of free patterns and inspiration!



There is a link-up where you can link any 2015 makings using a free pattern! (And there will be prizes!) You still have one week to link (it closes on the 28th), so go sew up something and have fun! 

Happy sewing!





20 comments

  1. Hahahahaha Sara a historia do cabelo e demais... Ela e LINDA! A miuda tem olho para escolher tecidos... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O cabelo dela é mesmo terrível!... Não faço ideia como é que ela vai fazer quando for maior, coitada...
      A escolha de tecidos pelos meus filhos é sempre condicionada. Primeiro escolho eu uma meia dúzia, às vezes uma dúzia, e depois é que eles escolhem um desses. :)

      Delete
  2. Ficou super giro Sara!
    Gosto imenso de a ver (e sim, se calhar pode "brilhar" mais com uma T-shirt lisa, mas ela pode usar tudo. É tão querida!)
    Quanto a truques para o cabelo, não posso ajudar - acho que preciso de alguns para mim ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada! Ainda pensei em tirar-lhe fotografias já em modo Primavera (sem collants) e até de manga curta mas achei que seria uma violência... E eu não sou nada adepta de fazer os miúdos sofrer só por causa de ter boas fotos para o blog... :)
      Acho que o cabelo dela não tem solução... :)

      Delete
  3. Adorable! I love the double button closure in the back and the polka dot fabric you used.:) It will be so adorable come spring with white tights and shoes or even bare legs and white sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I agree with you - bare legs and sandals will be perfect! Can't wait for Spring to arrive!

      Delete
  4. Ela é adorável, tem umas expressões fantásticas e está o máximo no seu smock! ;-) eu gosto de tudo, do cabelo rebelde dela, do tecido e do folho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada!!
      Ela é mesmo um doce, tal e qual como parece nas fotos. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely Sara!. I like the paring with that shirt I think because the ruffle in the bottom of the skirt is not massive. I can see this look in a magazine. I think is very classic and classy. Also I think with a t shirt will look fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet Maria! Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Gosto muito!! Ficou gira e o tecido e o folho "combinam" lindamente com o molde. O cabelo está demais, faz parte do charme ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Maria João!
      Acho que tenho mesmo que parar esta luta diária inglória contra o cabelo dela e convencer-me que faz parte da personalidade dela... :)

      Delete
  7. Eu não sou muito de folhos, mas gosto desse pormenor na saia, e concordo contigo, com uma t-shirt, vai ficar ainda melhor! De qualquer forma, ficou adorável e a modelo é o máximo, com remoinhos no cabelo e tudo! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Diana! O engraçado no meio disto tudo é que eu também não muito de folhos. :) Mas não sei porquê de vez em quando lá sai um folhito... Influência da moda infantil em vigor em Portugal, se calhar... :)

      Delete
  8. Que gira! A saia é a miúda!
    Tenho que dar um salto ao site da Nani Iro e ver as patterns. Estou muito curiosa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada dear friend! :) Estava a fazer isto e a pensar em ti! ;) Tens que ir espreitar, sim! Tem imensos modelos giros!!

      Delete
  9. I am sure you will love the smock more once it is warmer in your corner of the world :) I think your daughter did a great job choosing fabric (I usually limit options for LM as well). A lovely flip over all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh, we've been wanting to sew a Japanese pattern :). You are so brave to let her choose the dress combination.....We give EA choices at times {thinking we'll know what she will pick}, yet she still surprises us....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahahah Sara, acontece o mesmo com o cabelo da Gabriela. Mas como geralmente anda em rabo de cavalo disfarça bastante. As fotos ficaram super giras, a tua miúda é um amor. Palmas para ti por não a fazeres sofrer só para as fotos! Eu tb sou incapaz de o fazer! Os meus miúdos primeiro! Eu tb não sou de folhos, mas acho que quando não é em exagero fica super amoroso, o que é o caso. Mais uma vez, conseguiste um look espetacular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An adorable little dress!!! I really like it with the ruffled white blouse and come Summer the outfit would look great with no tights, or maybe three quarter white leggings. Thanks for the links to the free patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!